Stress is a silent killer.As we plod through our to-do lists,schedules,deadlines and responsibilities,it quietly ensnares us in it's tentacles.It can lead to hyper-tension,heart attacks and depression.No matter how organised we are,unexpected developments and traumas often leave us shaken.Our mind goes into a cycle of depressive thoughts and we require a diversion to break that cycle.It is as simple as that.
Next time when you find yourself overwhelmed by worry, try one of these diversions and hopefully,your stress will disappear:--
- Connect with people--being alone propels rumination.
- Nourish yourself--tension and excessive work-load make you forget hunger and thirst.A cup of tea and a nutritious snack will energize you.Even a glass of water can soothe frazzled nerves.
- Play a game--outdoors or indoor.Even a simple board game will take your mind off your worries,give you something else to think about.
- Do Crossword or Sudoku--brain games initiate a new thought process and you forget your anxieties.
- Listen to music--if possible,play an instrument or hum your favorite tune.
- Watch a humorous program--borrow some joy de vivre from others.
- Dabble in art--even if you are not gifted, drawing,doodling or painting will lighten your mood considerably.Painting in children's coloring books is a good starter.You may even surprise yourself and begin to believe in art's efficacy to beat stress.Just keep the stuff ready.
- Do some craft work--pick up things you have no use for and think of new ways of using or recycling them.Let the creative juices flow.It is very satisfying to make something out of nothing.
- Indulge in a vigorous physical activity--the extra calories you burn consume overbearing,surplus stress hormones like adrenalin and cortisol.As a result your tensions subside and you feel fit enough to face your challenges.
- Take a walk in the lap of nature--focusing on the outside world helps you to forget your fears and anxieties.
- Sleep or just lie down --preferably in shavasan.