Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Oft In The Stilly Night--by Thomas Moore

Oft, in the Stilly Night (Scotch Air)
BY THOMAS MOORE
Oft, in the stilly night,
Ere slumber’s chain has bound me,
Fond memory brings the light
Of other days around me;
The smiles, the tears,
Of boyhood’s years,
The words of love then spoken;
The eyes that shone,
Now dimm’d and gone,
The cheerful hearts now broken!
Thus, in the stilly night,
Ere slumber’s chain hath bound me,
Sad memory brings the light
Of other days around me.

When I remember all
The friends, so link’d together,
I’ve seen around me fall,
Like leaves in wintry weather;
I feel like one
Who treads alone
Some banquet-hall deserted,
Whose lights are fled,
Whose garlands dead,
And all but he departed!
Thus, in the stilly night,
Ere slumber’s chain has bound me,
Sad memory brings the light
Of other days around me.


14 comments :

  1. Beautiful lines, but haven't read before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, it's got that hint of wistful nostalgia and a tinge of melancholic longing to it, loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Arti the sentiments seem to come straight from the heart,that is why they click.I am glad you loved it.

      Delete
  3. memories they bring both sorrow and happiness ..

    a beautiful poem

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Bikram--depends upon your perspective,how you look at it.

      Delete
  4. A lovely journey of life so well encapsulated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nostalgia and sadness Indu ji ---every one feels like this sometime or the other in his/her lifetime

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never read this before but it is so incredibly beautiful. It really stirs my soul....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Colleen,i can understand.I wish i could know the whole of it.

      Delete
    2. Colleen i found the entire poem -it is by Thomas Moore.Here is the link
      http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/174048

      Delete

Thanks for reading.Do,give your feedback.